Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Cook is responsible for preparing, produces, heats, cooks, and serves meals and snacks from a variety of foods from fresh, canned, dry, or frozen states for the residents, staff and guests according to recipes and assists in other related tasks in a designated food service production and/or service area.
Schedule: Mon, Tues, Wed. Thur. and Friday from 11am -7pm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain inventory of kitchen and food supplies, as well as all related logs (i.e., temperature and all others)
- Ensures timely and appropriate preparation of 3 meals and other food items required by contract.
- Maintains a food handler permit and all required and requested certifications.
- Assists with kitchen inspections, health department inspections, fire department inspections, and documentation of kitchen equipment checks and verification. Routinely inspects and ensures all equipment is running in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Sets up and merchandises food and food service areas and serves food. Operates kitchen equipment such as electric mixers, slicers, choppers, and grinders.
- Utilizes kitchenware such as knives, spatulas, whisks, tongs, spoons, and ladles.
- Provide patient supervision and training in food services when patients are in the kitchen and dining room.
- Follow routines for ensuring all food items are of quality content and will ensure proper rotation of food items.
- Provide specialized menus for events. Provide special needs diets as needed for patients.
- Maintains and submits documentation in a complete and timely fashion to meet agency standards and funding requirements.
- Is compliant with all Federal, State, and County standards and reporting requirements attends training as requested and required.
- Assists in the monitoring, reduction, and management of food waste.
- Cleans and sanitizes pots, pans, and kitchen utensils.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly deep cleaning of the facility, service areas, and all kitchen equipment such as counters, tables, ovens, refrigerators, freezers, mixers, transient hot carts, mobile carts, and rolling racks.
- Mops floors and disposes of waste according to the Phoenix House Operating Procedures, OSHA, the Federal, State, and County Health Department processes and procedures.
- Assists with the planning, ordering, and stocking of food and kitchen supplies.
- Follow policy and procedure when preparing, cooking, and serving meals according to Phoenix House policy and procedures, which reflect the minimum expectations according to health department codes.
- Attends all required staff training sessions in accordance with Phoenix House and state licensing requirements, completes all training on time
- Attends and participates in program and all staff meetings
- Adheres to and promotes the Phoenix House Mission, Vision, and Values while acting as a role model for others
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- One (1) to (3) years of food preparation and kitchen experience required.
- Experience in commercial or institutional food service and preparation preferred.
- California Food Handler Card (i.e., ServSafe) required
- Manager's Food Safety Certification preferred
- Must maintain a valid California Drivers' License, have proof of automobile insurance and maintain a safe driving record based on Phoenix House policy
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated commitment and adherence to Phoenix House Mission, Vision, and Values: I CARE For? Integrity, Collaboration Appreciation, Respect, Excellence, and Forward-Thinking
- Proficiency in MS Office systems
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced changing environment
- Ability to establish and consistently enforce appropriate boundaries with patients
- Ability to model positive behavior and demeanor
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill with quantity food preparation
- Knowledge of Modern equipment related to automated meal assembly and packaging
- Knowledge of Concepts of food receiving, handling, storage, inventorying and ordering
- Knowledge of Safety rules and practices pertaining to food processing establishments
- Knowledge of Applicable health and sanitation standards
- Knowledge of Basic nutritional concepts
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to be flexible; problem solver, self-directed; customer service-oriented, and collaborative
- Skills and ability to engage and develop a rapport with patients and families of various backgrounds
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Job location: Venice, CA
Job number: 293