Reporting to the Vice President of Human Resources, the Sr. Human Resources Generalist is responsible for the full implementation of all human resources functions for assigned programs including employee relations, performance & compensation, leave & benefits administration, training & development, HRIS administration, and tracking and reporting HR metrics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Employee Relations & Safety
Performance and Compensation Administration
- Leads employee engagement initiatives including the implementation of employee services/committees such as PHCA engagement committee, health and safety committee, and employee recreational and morale enhancing social events.
- Leads Health & Safety initiatives including the implementation of Injury & Illness Prevention Program, ergonomics and accident investigations. Ensures programs promote a healthy and safe work environment.
- Counsels and advises supervisors and employees on Company human resources policies, and related employment laws.
- Oversees and manages employee relations functions:
- Early intervention and resolution of employee complaints.
- Lead and conduct employment-related investigations.
- Ensures supervisory staffs respond and address employee concerns timely.
- Conduct exit interviews to assist in assessing recruitment and retention opportunities. Create reports and analyze exit interview data to make recommendations to the leadership team.
Leave, Workers Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Interfaces with supervisors to assist in the development of job descriptions and provides appropriate guidance on exempt/non-exempt classification; updates descriptions as needed to ensure accuracy, consistency and without compromising/effecting other program/department positions.
- Oversees and manages performance management functions:
- Reviews corrective action submissions, including performance improvement plans; makes recommendations; processes according to company policy guidelines.
- Ensures supervisory staffs counseling on performance management are timely.
- Responsible for review of supporting documentation and monitors and approves involuntary terminations.
- Manages performance administration program pertaining to performance review dates; follow up with supervisors to ensure timely completion; review submission and document completion. Responsible for the monthly reporting of late evaluation submissions.
- Ensures accurate, timely on-line processing of salary, date change submissions (e.g. leave of absence, status changes). Distribute notices, as necessary.
- Ensures contracts and all pertinent documents are completed for independent contractors and forwarded for signature at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Administers leaves of absence for Company employees, receives initial notification from employee or supervisor, obtains appropriate documentation, designates leave (e.g., FMLA/CFRA/PDL, etc.) ensures written documentation/communication with the employee regarding leave, disability and benefits information, enters leave information into FMLA Manager; tracks timeline and communicates with employee and manager as necessary.
- Requisitions staff from temporary agencies as needed.
- Oversees workers' compensation claims management receives/follows-up on initial notification from employee or supervisor; obtains appropriate documentation; communicates with employee, occupational clinic, treating physician, third party administrators, as needed.
- Ensures initial reports of injury for workers compensation claims are completed by employee and supervisors; submit claims to insurance carrier in a timely manner; maintains communications with injured employee and carrier; completes Cal OSHA log as required by law.
- Prepares materials for open enrollment; coordinates process with carriers and HRIS provider. Helps develop internal communication materials regarding the Company's employee benefit selections and communicates benefits information/procedures accordingly.
- Manages monthly benefit eligibility for new hires and terminations; ensures on-line selections are made in a timely manner. Follow-up with employees regarding needed documentation (i.e., life, 401k, FSA,) or to clarify erroneous or incorrect benefit selections.
- Responds to employee questions and solves eligibility and service issues for a variety of health and welfare benefit plans; resolves not only the specific issue at hand but also reviews to determine whether problem is systemic in nature and works with carrier representative to resolve any broader issues.
- Works with department supervisor and payroll department to coordinates final paycheck processing for all separations; prepares COBRA information, reviews with employee and notifies outside company; updates employee database and notifies pertinent personnel of termination/separation actions.
- responsible for meeting with all staff that have resigned from the company; forwarding exit interview link for completion; collecting company property.
HRIS, Helpdesk & Recordkeeping
- Oversees the HR Supervisor and Employee training plans to meet core, licensing, accreditation and regulatory requirements; revise as needed in partnership- with leadership to enable staff development in line with company's mission, values and strategic goals.
- Ensures that HR training programs and workshops meet professional guidelines, and delivery skillsets, in alignment with Company goals, mission, vision and values.
- Provides consultation to departments to identify training and development needs.
- Assists with developing and conducting in-house e3 training programs to end-users. Assists with developing and maintaining up-to-date end-user training manuals and materials.
- Respond and resolve help desk inquiries. Track and report on overall quantity and type of help desk requests and resolutions. Identify and report findings of end-user needs/issues. Initiate efforts and procedures to maintain data integrity, troubleshoot, and recommend solutions.
- Manages employee credentials through Program Administrators including driving records (DMV Pull Notices), licensure & certification, CPR, TB and others. Notifies supervisors when credentials expire or are suspended and assist with corrective actions.
- Solicit feedback and identify the overall needs of e3 end users. Prepare and distribute timely and appropriate communications. Serve as the lead resource for input and maintenance of the e3 system. Seek out new opportunities to promote e3 functionality.
- Ensure employee record retention; maintains active and terminated employee files.
- Responds to unemployment insurance claims and attends hearings as necessary.
- Responsible for preparation and submission of employee information to government agencies as required by law; gathers and analyzes data and provides supervisor and others with routine and special reports.
- Responds to subpoenas by preparing documents, scanning personnel files, arranging depositions and attending hearings.
- Gathers and analyzes data and provides the supervisor and others with routine and special reports (e.g., turnover, hiring statistics, employee relations issues, etc.) and ensures preparation and submission of employee information to government agencies as required by law.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of labor and related laws, industry trends, and effective human resources practice through participation in seminars and classes, membership in professional organizations, reading, and contacts in the industry.
- Ensures confidentiality of all employee data in accordance with privacy policies.
- Attends all required staff training sessions in accordance with Phoenix House and state licensing requirements, completes all training on time.
- Adheres to and promotes the Phoenix House Mission, Vision, and Values while acting as a role model for others.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four years of experience in an administrative or professional-level human resources staff position REQUIRED.
- Bachelor's degree in related field REQUIRED.
- HR Certification (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) preferred.
- Master's in Business Management/Human Resource Management or related field preferred.
- Must maintain a valid California Drivers' License, have proof of automobile insurance and maintain a safe driving record based on Phoenix House policy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated commitment and adherence to Phoenix House Mission, Vision, and Values: I CARE For Integrity, Collaboration Appreciation, Respect, Excellence, and Forward-Thinking.
- Proficiency in MS Office systems.
- Ability and willingness to report to work on time and ready for work on each scheduled day.
- Exceptional analytical skills.
- Exceptional Customer Service skills.
- Exceptional ability to prioritize tasks and to work on multiple assignments at the same time (multi-task).
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the concepts of providing outstanding customer care.
- Ability to work independently on complex assignments.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to make decisions independently and communicate effectively when dealing with clients, families, other staff members, department heads, visitors, external agencies and community members.
- Knowledge of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Labor, and other codes, laws, rules, policies, procedures, and union avoidance strategies.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with appropriate documentation skills to complete reports, utilize data, and communicate ideas constructively at all levels of the organization.
- The Generalist is accountable for his/her area of responsibility and must: push information, influence decision-making, and risk-taking to the lowest level of responsibility.
- Knowledge of principles of equal opportunity employment.
- Demonstrate flexibility in applying different approaches to changing work demands.
- Be open to opinions and recommendations of others.
- Ability to manage change and uncertainty in a way that encourages principle-based decisions.
- Responsible for personal stress management.
- Be assertive and respectful.
- Resolve issues through interaction.
- Ability to establish and consistently enforce appropriate boundaries with client/patients of Phoenix House.
- Write clear and concise reports and interpret statistical data.
- Demonstrated ability to learn.
Job location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Job number: 380